Sunday, September 21, 2008

First Props, Way Behind



I'm not making excuses, well...actually that's exactly what I'm doing, but a newborn can really put the kibosh on your prop making plans.
But, this is what I have so far. I gave the first groundbreaker some hands, teeth, fingernails and it's black undercoat. Don't think I was supposed to paint the teeth and nails, but whatever - it's my first one. Next I'll dry bush him and touch up the nails and teeth. I hate the chest still.

The only one I've gotten started is my first paper skull mold thing. This is a technique I learned from Spooky Blue. The skull is held to the spine with "Great Stuff". This is 100% newspaper and I've had the darndest time figuring out how to make realistic shoulders to attach arms. Season of Shadows new Haunter's Reality video finally gave me the answer. BUT - I'm thinking this guy will be the scarecrow. I have some ideas for the head and some different types of arms. Hard to explain, but it's in my head. I just hope I pull it off. Hope I finish something.

Finally, I have this guy.
This is my first celluclay project. Just your standard plastic cauldron pumpkin. I like it, I just don't know what to do with it. The bottom is too flat.

So, as you see - not much has been done this year so far and it's nothing ground breaking (heh) or particularly good. But I think they are decent enough to keep working on things.
I'll keep you updated on the progress, especially the scarecrow.

2 comments:

SeasonOfShadows.com said...

Lookin good, man. I think you did a great job with your mache skull! That's one area I have yet to venture into. I still like to cling to my bucky and foam heads..lol! I'm really looking forward to this off-season, as it will be one in which I take a lot of new risks with my props.

I also like the position you've placed the head in the prop in the left image. Looks very agonizing and tormented!

Johnny said...

Thanks. The paper skull is ok. I think I prefer sticking to foam skulls though as well. It's a little too smooth for me. Although paper molds might be good for celluclay bases. I don't know.

Of course the guy on the left is in agony, look at how big I made his chest! He has HELLISH gas! :-)
My body work is terrible, but I'm making progress.
I really hope I get the chance to finish my ideas for the scarecrow and hope I can pull off what's in my head.
Right now poor V is going through some gas issues where if she's awake, she's crying mostly. So all of my attention is on her. But we shall see.
Thanks again.